Wednesday, May 2, 2012

HELLO FRANNNNS

Today I woke up at the lovely hour of 7 to go forage for food on the crazy streets of Ho Chi Minh City/ Saigon/ District One of Panem.  Kind of a struggle--we heard so much about being careful with food we were at first too worried, but then found a place with good pastries. Chocolate croissants are probably good in any country...

Everything is SUPER CHEAP. Its pretty awesome, but if something is like, 3 dollars, I think its too expensive--weird because when I was in Europe I was fine paying an exorbitant price. We ate Pho for lunch, a Vietnamese classic. The place was called Pho 2000 and Clinton AND Bush have eaten there. So I'm basically presidential!!
(Kelly Mae, Collier and I, nomming in nam)
They charge you for moist towels though--what a trick!! In America its free.  We also went to a cute ice cream place in this FANCAYYYYY mall--but one scoop of ice cream was basically the size of a melon ball. UM WUT. Our waitress, however, said serving us made her very happy (even though we made her give us separate checks).

We also went to the Ben Thanh market (spelling? who cares...) where they sell EVERYTHING. I got scared to bargain people down so I didn't get anything but I will probably go back.  Everyone keeps touching you though, and trying to get you to buy things.  Personal bubbles don't exist here.  

Deep thought of the day: TOTAL DIVIDE between high end end poor.  I see people napping on the street but then go past a Chanel store... the way the city has developed is really interesting!

More pictures to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment