Friday, May 11, 2012


So my classmates and I had been deeply disturbed by our tour guide Viet’s long hairs growing from his mole.  We couldn’t understand why it was so hard to pluck them.  But after I got over my disruption, I became simply confused.  There MUST be a reason why this hair was left to grow.
Today after the Imperial City of Hue, we ventured to a popular Buddhist temple by the Perfume River. We passed through a gate where there were two depictions of men; one represented good, and one represented evil.  But that wasn’t what was interesting. What was interesting was that one of the men had a mole which was sprouting some quite impressive hair.
It was then I knew, that the mole hair must be significant, at least within Asia.  After getting back to the hotel, to “refresh” as Viet keeps saying, I got on google. I found that : in Thailand and Vietnam, it is good luck to have hair growing out of a mole.  The longer the hair is, the more luck you have! This explains everything.


Well, kind of.  I can’t quite find out where the tradition came from, but rest assured, with a little more research I will be able to write another post hopefully detailing why this is so.

Oh, we went to the Imperial City too, which was cool.  The roof tiles were yellow, to signal royalty, and geomancers (Feng Shui experts) arranged all the walls around the city so it would be in an opportune position. It was extremely hot though, and Allison and I almost got left behind when we tried to go to the WC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment